Blog #6 - Third Week Summary - 12/15-12/19

 For the third and final week of my project, I had experiences similar to those of the previous two weeks, but this time at the federal level and within the federal courthouse (shown below).



I began the week by spending two days shadowing the U.S. Marshals. I had previously toured their office during the Mock Trial intensive, but this was my first opportunity to observe their daily operations in depth. Through this experience, I gained a much clearer understanding of their responsibilities and role within the federal justice system.

The U.S. Marshals Service is the oldest federal law enforcement agency in the United States and serves as the enforcement arm of the federal courts. Their duties include apprehending violent fugitives, protecting federal judges and witnesses (including those in the witness protection program), securing federal courthouses, managing and transporting federal prisoners, and executing federal court orders.



In Ohio, the federal court system is divided into two districts: the Northern District of Ohio and the Southern District of Ohio, which together cover the entire state. Cleveland is part of the Northern District, along with Akron, Toledo, and Youngstown. The Northern District of Ohio Marshals Service is one of the top-performing districts in the country, consistently ranking among the highest in fugitive apprehensions and arrests nationwide. This is particularly impressive given that districts with larger or more well-known cities might be expected to dominate these statistics.

Additionally, the U.S. Marshal for the Northern District of Ohio, Pete Elliott, is the longest-serving U.S. Marshal in the state. He was appointed in 2003 by former President George W. Bush and has been retained by Presidents Obama, Trump, and Biden. This continuity across multiple administrations is a testament to his effectiveness and leadership, especially considering changes in political party control over the presidency.

During my time with the Marshals, I was able to observe most of their daily responsibilities, with the exception of early-morning surveillance operations. I accompanied deputy marshals during their court duties, where they are responsible for transporting defendants from the cell block to their courtrooms for hearings and trials. As a result, I observed a wide range of proceedings, including sentencing hearings, detention hearings (which determine whether a defendant is eligible for bail), and change-of-plea hearings, among others.

I was also given a tour of the courthouse cell block, where defendants are held while awaiting hearings or trials after being transported from their jail or prison. Each morning, defendants scheduled to appear in court are brought to the federal courthouse and remain in the cell block throughout the day before being transported back once court concludes.

Following my time with the U.S. Marshals, I spent the next two days in the federal courthouse shadowing Federal Judge Polster. During this portion of my week, I observed his daily responsibilities, including participating in online Multi-District Litigation (MDL) proceedings and attending hearings that he presided over in his chambers over Zoom.

Judge Polster’s schedule is generally structured with civil cases on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and criminal cases on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Fortunately, I was able to shadow him on both civil and criminal days.

On my first day with Judge Polster, I observed a typical civil docket that consisted almost entirely of MDL proceedings. MDL, or Multi-District Litigation, involves consolidating large-scale civil cases—often against major corporations—into a single court for more efficient resolution. Due to confidentiality concerns, I cannot discuss specific cases, but I was able to observe Judge Polster’s role as a facilitator between the involved parties. He asked questions, guided discussions, and ensured that progress was being made without unnecessary delays.

The MDL hearings occupied most of the day, with the exception of reentry court at the end of the afternoon. Reentry court is a specialized program that Judge Polster helped establish approximately 15 years ago and is not commonly found in most courts.

Typically, after individuals complete their prison sentences, they enter a period of supervised release. This supervision is intended to reduce recidivism, but it is not always effective on its own. To address this issue, reentry court was created as a way for individuals recently released from prison to earn a reduction in their supervised release period by successfully completing a structured reentry program.

Participants in the program attend monthly check-ins, during which probation officers report on their progress and make recommendations regarding whether participants should receive a monthly credit. Participants must remain crime-free and are subject to drug screenings, employment verification, and housing checks. Once a participant earns 12 credits, they graduate from the program. I was able to attend one of the program’s twice-yearly graduation ceremonies, which was an extremely powerful and uplifting experience.

Below is a series of images from the pamphlet distributed at the graduation ceremony.






On my second day with Judge Polster, I observed a criminal docket. The day consisted of reviewing pre-hearing reports, noting motions and objections, and presiding over scheduled hearings. I observed one sentencing hearing and three change-of-plea hearings. While the day did not involve particularly complex legal arguments, it allowed me to further strengthen my understanding of federal courtroom procedures.

At the end of the day, I had the opportunity to briefly interview Judge Polster. He answered several questions I had and offered advice that he said he shares with all young people: to pursue some form of public service during their lifetime. He also remarked that in a democracy, a society will only rise as high—or fall as low—as the people who are willing to serve it. I found this statement especially powerful and meaningful. A picture of him and me is shown below.



To conclude my week, I will be visiting the Lake County Crime Lab on 12/19. I am excited to observe the forensic work that takes place behind the scenes to help build criminal cases.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Project Blog - Exploring the Lake County Court System

Blog #2 - Monday, December 1st,

Blog #5 - Second Week Summary - 12/8-12/11